One-way mirrors are the kind of thing we commonly see in the movies. However, they serve a very real role in our society, for interrogation rooms, market research, and many more practical purposes.
We created Observa™ to provide a one-way mirror that offers high-quality vision and effectively provides discreet unobtrusive monitoring. It has the appearance of a mirror on the subject side while providing privacy for observers.
Discretion and Privacy
Observa™ achieves privacy for observers as long as a light ratio of 1:7 is achieved, where the subject side is brightly illuminated and the observer side is dimly lit.
Observa™ can be tailored to suit a variety of applications and needs, for example adding a heavy interlayer to provide enhanced protection.
Safety & Security
Observa™ stays in place even when broken, offering greater durability and protection.
Observa™ has a specifically designed system of reflectivity and light absorption levels that secures the privacy of observers.
Tested & Certified
Observa™ is tested and certified to Grade A safety glass standards.
- Ideal for surveillance, security and administrative applications
- Internal applications required discreet, unobtrusive monitoring
- This is a one-way mirror that creates a visual barrier between subjects and their observers, where clear and discreet vision is required.
- This product can be used for:
- Retail Stores
- Correctional institutions
- Airports security
- Workplace monitoring
- Banks or cash offices
- Medical facilities
- Computer rooms
- Child care facilities
- Marketing focus group monitoring
- Any area requiring observation
A light ratio of 1:7 is recommended, where the subject side is brightly illuminated and the observer side is dimly lit.
Bright lighting sources must be avoided in the observerés area and spotlights directed away from the Observa surface. We recommend using dark furnishing colours and that dark clothing be worn in the observation area.
Glazing should be in accordance with the Australian Standard AS1288, New Zealand Standard NZS4223 and Viridian recommendations for laminated glass.
The reflective surface must be installed to the subject side.
- Install Observa™ with the reflective surface facing the brightly lit subject-side.
- Type of lighting
- Subject-side lighting should be bright and evenly distributed over all walls and furnishings, but should not shine directly onto the one-way mirror. Observer-side lighting should be dim with light sources directed away from the glass.
- Background Colours
- Subject-side should be decorated light in color and with shade to create a bright reflected image. Observer-side decor should be subdued, non-reflective, dark and uniform.
- Distances and light levels
- On the observer-side, keep people, objects and light sources at a distance of more than one foot from the one-way mirror area. An 8:1 light ratio is recommended, with the subject-side brightly lit.
- Use standard glass cleaners or mild detergents. Do not use abrasives, opaque liquid cleaners, razor blades or acid-based cleaners.
- Pyrolytic Coating Advantage
- Durable, pyrolytic coating
- Easily handled, tempered cut, bent, laminated, insulated and heat-strengthened
- No edge deletion required
- Virtually unlimited shelf-life
- Inventoried locally
- Reduce lead times for new construction and replacements
This product is pretty technical – which is why we’d like to know your requirements before giving you all the details. Help us help you by getting in touch today.
- Maximum Size: 3660 x 2440mm
Our Assurance to you
Product Info Sheet
Learn more about Observa™
The only thing we love more than glass is talking to people about glass, pop in and see us.
Use our FREE online glass calculator to help you find the right glass for your windows.
There are no bad questions, the only bad question is the one you don't ask. Ask today.